Information: Extramural Programs
To create a caring, safe and fun environment for kids to play, express, learn and exercise while working on skills that enhance their physical, emotional, cognitive and artistic development, focusing on:
We currently offer the following programs:
Trinity College London Curriculum
Work books at extra expense
Children to wear old clothing / protective clothing in case of messy activities
DISCOUNTED AFTERCARE OPTION:
We offer an optional discounted aftercare option to Capriccio! learners - this entails 2 - 3 hours of afternoon care at the school at a reduced daily fee of R100, for each of the 8 afternoons per term that the learner will be participating in an extramural program at our school. The cost per school quarter amounts to R800, billed pro rata monthly in advance with extramural fees.
Children not making use of above option to be dropped off (ready in the relevant dress code) - and collected punctually, as no other supervision before or after classes will be available.
PARENT OPEN CLASS:
The last class of each school quarter will be open for parents who wish to sit in and watch.
Kindly note that we are unable to accommodate parents attending any of the other lessons, as this is very distracting for the children. For security reasons, we do not offer a waiting area for anyone arriving early to collect a child after an extramural lesson. Thank you for your understanding in this regard.
The program as it is taught at Capriccio! is a “pre-gymnastics" class, teaching young gymnasts physical and cognitive fitness skills that can prepare them for Gymnastics levels at a competing gymnastics club in future, if they so choose.
From age 7, children have the choice to start competing on a national level at a competing gymnastic club, but before that, gymnastics lessons focus on fitness, fun, flexibility, muscle development, locomotion and rotation skills, jumping and landing skills.
Instruction focused on above elements prepares their bodies and gives them the required technique, strength and flexibility, should they continue on to Competition levels, whilst providing a fun and low pressure environment for children to get fit.
The curriculum consists of three levels. Throughout the year we explore different skills on all equipment including Beam, Horizontal bars, Floor, & Trampoline.
• Level 1: Focused on developing basic gross motor skills; Balance, spring and landing, rotation,
• Level 2: Increasing difficulty in skills and more time working on equipment. Start working on technique, flexibility & strength.
• Level 3: Competition prep. Two sessions a week. Introduction of routines on all equipment. Focused on technique, strength, flexibility & stamina.
All levels are delivered in a learn-through-play environment. The aim is not to create perfect gymnasts by age six, but rather to awaken a passion for this beautiful sport all while having fun and staying fit and healthy.
Duration of the class is 60 minutes including changing clothes; class split into 4 parts:
• Dressing time 10 minutes
• Warm up (Gymnastic shape retention as foundation for other skills, and cardio) 5 minutes
• Floor skills (Rotation & locomotion skills eg. Cartwheels, handstands, round offs) 10 minutes
• Circuit 1 (Skills on trampoline, Beam, Bars and floor in continuous circuit) 10 minutes
• Circuit 2 (Further skills on trampoline, Beam, Bars and floor in continuous circuit) 10 minutes
• Cool down (Stretch and strengthening exercises)
• Dressing time 10 minutes
This class is not competitive or strenuous, but rather a fun way to learn and progress.
Instruction: Teacher Tashai (qualified gymnastics coach)